Sunday 23 October 2011

Cocktail hour - berry infusion


Over the last year or so I’ve reintroduced cocktail hour. When I want to morph into an old French man, I opt for a Ricard over ice, with a dash of water. I put my feet up, grab a deckchair and lounge in the courtyard, and dream the day away.

I don’t always want to feel like an old French man though. On other evenings I lean towards our house cocktail, more of a ladies drink really, a combination of a dryish Alsace Riesling and a dash of locally made raspberry liqueur.

Recently however, I’ve been craving an aperitif with a heavy burst of vitamin C, to both recharge and relax. It’s on these days that I scour the fridge and freezer for foraged berries. I tip them all into a glass and use a hand blender to puree them. While that’s happening I add a shot of Icelandic vodka, apparently distilled through basalt, and a little more ice.

The result – a slightly naughty version of a very healthy juice!         

Bon weekend!


No comments: