Thursday 1 September 2011

Making celery salt

Yesterday my friend Jen gave me a huge head of celery that she'd grown. I got it home to realise there were many more celery leaves, than stalks. It seemed like an opportune time to make my first flavoured salt - celery salt. A punchy seasoning salt and important addition to bloody marys, it's very easy to make.

Here’s the recipe
(Ingredients: Maldon sea salt and celery leaves) 

Remove the leaves from a bid bunch of celery and wash them in a colander.
Dry the leaves on a tea towel.

When completely try, pop the leaves on a baking tray and roast in the over for a few minutes (180C). The aim is to dry the leaves, not burn them, so keep a close eye on the oven.


Let the leaves cool. When completely cool crumble the leaves and mix them with an equal measure of flaky sea salt (I used Maldon sea salt). Store in a jar and voila!  
 

2 comments:

Janine said...

Yummo I have never made celery salt. I will certainly try now. Thanks Mel.
BTW love your new style of blog. Punchy pics and text. :)

kitchentraveller said...

I just tried this at home and it worked out great. It's so hot here, I dried the leaves on the tiles by the swimming pool instead of in the oven...